Did you know 75% of people feel anxiety or fear before orthodontic treatment? These nerves can stem from fear of pain, the unknown, and time commitment, among other things. At Designer Smiles by Benton, we want to help reduce that 75% to 0% by sharing up-to-date information about orthodontic treatment methods! Today, we’ll discuss extraction therapy vs. non-extraction therapy.
What Is Extraction Therapy?
Questions and concerns usually surround extraction therapy. The word “extraction,” often used in spy and action movies, can sound intimidating. Let’s clarify some things about this treatment method and put your mind at ease.
Extraction therapy is a strategic approach where an oral healthcare professional removes specific permanent teeth to address dental overcrowding or alignment challenges. It’s like making room in a packed closet by thoughtfully selecting which items to keep and which to part with.
The extraction process is pain-free, thanks to modern anesthesia, though you might feel some discomfort after the fact. However, as long as you follow your post-procedure instructions, you’ll be good as new in no time! Once you heal from this outpatient procedure, you’ll begin non-extraction therapies (see next section) to complete your new look!
Parting with a tooth might raise patients’ eyebrows, but this method can be life-changing. Creating that much-needed space paves the way for the remaining teeth to align, ensuring a balance between function and aesthetics. And worry not! At Designer Smiles by Benton, our seasoned team, backed by years of expertise, provides a smooth, comfortable journey centered around your well-being. After all, every step we take is geared towards sculpting that radiant smile you’ve always dreamt of.
What Is Non-Extraction Therapy?
Extraction therapy isn’t necessary for everyone! Most patients can improve their smile using exclusively non-extraction methods.
Non-extraction therapy is like the art of organizing a room without removing any furniture. Instead of extracting teeth, we work with all your teeth and optimize space and alignment through innovative techniques. Treatment options at Designer Smiles by Benton include Damon metal and clear braces, Lightforce clear braces, and clear aligners. Though each method has pros and cons, they all achieve the goal of a perfectly aligned bite by applying gentle, continuous pressure on the teeth.
At Designer Smiles by Benton, our commitment is to craft personalized orthodontic experiences. With our expert team leading the way, every decision regarding your treatment will resonate with your dental aspirations. After all, your journey to a captivating smile should be nothing short of remarkable.
How Do I Know Which Treatment Is Right For Me?
The best way to know which orthodontic appliance is right for you is to receive a thorough examination from an in-person orthodontist like Dr. Barry or Dr. Benton. They will help you decide which route will most benefit your needs and then guide you through the next steps.
If you qualify for one or more treatment options, consider the following and discuss with our team:
- Your Dental Profile: Assess the current alignment, spacing, and overall health of your teeth.
- Vision of the End Result: Picture your ideal smile. This mental image will help guide you and your treatment choices toward that desired outcome.
- Comfort: While some methods offer rapid results, others prioritize comfort. Weigh the pros and cons based on what you value most.
- Lifestyle Considerations: Your daily activities, whether professional or recreational, can influence your treatment choice. Opt for a method that integrates into your routine as seamlessly as possible.
- Treatment Duration: A common concern for patients is whether either treatment considerably extends the overall orthodontic process. The truth is that it depends on your orthodontic needs! Both methods can vary in treatment time and if they add much time to your braces experience. Extraction therapy may lead to longer than average overall treatment times due to the healing process after the procedure and the need to shift the remaining teeth into the plan after the extractions. On the other hand, non-extraction therapy, while preserving all the natural teeth, may also require a significant amount of time for the teeth to move into their correct positions because there might not be a lot of “wiggle room.”
Discover Your Treatment Plan At Designer Smiles By Benton!
Whether through extraction or non-extraction methods, the goal remains the same: a radiant, confident smile. At Designer Smiles by Benton, we’re dedicated to guiding you every step of the way, ensuring your journey is as unique and beautiful as your smile. Learn more about all the options available to you through our website and blogs or by contacting our Oxford, Alabama, team! Dr. Barry, Dr. Benton, and the entire crew can’t wait to help you achieve your one-of-a-kind, designer smile.